Welcome to Seesouthwest.com, the regional guide to southwest Washington state published by The Chronicle newspaper.
We understand that privacy is very important to our readers. We want to make sure that you understand why we collect certain information, how we use it, and how we protect it. We want our guests to feel confident that their information is handled with great care on Seesouthwest.com.
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit the Website. These companies may use information (not including any Personally-Identifying Information) about your visits to the Website and other websites that are contained in Web Cookies in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. Using a tool created by the Network Advertising Initiative, you can opt out of several third-party ad servers’ and networks’ Web Cookies simultaneously. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, please complete the following links: http://networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, http://preferences-mgr.truste.com/, or http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. Please contact us if you would like to know the identity of the third-party advertising companies we are currently using to serve ads.
We may allow advertisers to choose the characteristics of users who will see their advertisements, and we may use any of the Non-Personally Identifying Information we have collected (including information you may have decided not to show to other users, such as your birth year or other sensitive personal information or preferences) to select the appropriate audience for those advertisements. We do not identify you to the advertiser.
How do I know my information is safe on Seesouthwest.com?
In the normal course of business, Seesouthwest.com and The Chronicle do not share reader information with anyone. We collect this information for the sole purpose of improving Seesouthwest.com and providing more and better services to our readers.
The only times we will divulge a guest’s personal information to a third party are:
• If we believe in good faith that the law requires such disclosure.
• If we need to disclose the information in order to identify, contact or initiate legal action against someone violating Seesouthwest.com’s Terms of Service, or someone who is causing injury to or interference with Seesouthwest.com’s rights or property, other Seesouthwest.com users, or anyone else who can be harmed by such activities.
In the event Seesouthwest.com contracts with an outside research firm, we may provide your contact information to the research firm to contact you regarding participation in surveys, focus groups or other research activities that will help us improve Seesouthwest.com’s products and services. The research firm will be bound by its contract with Seesouthwest.com to use your information strictly for Seesouthwest.com research purposes, to keep your information confidential, and to adequately secure or destroy its records of your information when the research is complete.
From time to time, Seesouthwest.com will conduct surveys on its site for research purposes. When you participate in a survey, the information you provide about yourself and your responses are collected by Seesouthwest.com. We will always inform you how we will use this information.
If you contact Seesouthwest.com, we may keep a record of your correspondence. Seesouthwest.com also tracks and collects computer IP addresses to help with system administration and to compile information about traffic patterns on the site. Computer IP addresses identify computers and the networks or Internet service providers to which they are connected.
Cookies and how Seesouthwest.com uses them
A cookie is a small amount of data that is transferred from a Web server through your browser and stored on the hard drive of your computer. The cookie contains your user name and password so that when you log on, the Web server recognizes you.
General statistical information
Visits to Seesouthwest.com are monitored to gather statistical information, including the number of visits to the site, the pages visited, which domains visitors come from and the browsers used to visit the site. This data is accumulated at the aggregate level.
This statistical information enables us to evaluate the effectiveness of the services we provide, to monitor site performance and to make it easier for visitors to use the site.
How does Seesouthwest.com use the information it gathers?
Information collected on Seesouthwest.com, including traffic patterns and user behavior, is used primarily for the following purposes:
• Internal research. Seesouthwest.com is continuously assessing how visitors use the site. This data assists us in making decisions about how to improve the site and to better serve our users. Research data are aggregated and do not include data about specific individuals. We may share aggregated research (but not individual user information) with our advertisers or business partners. Additionally, Seesouthwest.com may use your information to contact you to ask for your participation in a focus group, survey, or some other type of research effort.
• To customize your experience on Seesouthwest.com. As Seesouthwest.com improves its service, it may offer users more opportunities to customize content and other aspects of the site. Information provided by you may be used to assist in the customization process, if you elect to participate in these features.
• To tailor advertising efforts. Most of the information and services available to you at Seesouthwest.com are free. In order to continue providing services free of charge, Seesouthwest.com sells advertising. Advertisers prefer to target their communication toward audiences who are most likely to be interested in their products. The information gathered on Seesouthwest.com helps us advise advertisers in general terms about certain aspects of site visitors (e.g. how visitors use the site, general demographic attributes of visitors, usage patterns on various parts of our site, etc.). This information helps both advertisers and Seesouthwest.com make better decisions about where to place advertising. No specific information about individual users is ever provided to advertisers. However, visitors who choose to conduct financial transactions with advertisers on Seesouthwest.com may provide specific data to those advertisers during the process of their transactions. Additionally, any information provided during the purchase ofSeesouthwest.com or The Eagle products or services will result in the collection of certain information required to complete the transaction.
More specifically, here is how Seesouthwest.com may use information you provide:
• Email addresses. If you supply Seesouthwest.com with your -mail address, either by registering on the site or by communicating with us via e-mail, we may, from time to time, send you information that we believe would be of interest to you via e-mail. This information may be from Seesouthwest.com, The Chronicle, or from one of our quality advertisers. Note: If we send you email on behalf of another company, your information is never disclosed to that company. Rather, the company provides us with the information it wants to send, and we prepare and send the -mail directly to you. Your information never leaves our systems.
• Postal addresses. If you supply Seesouthwest.com with your postal address, we may send you periodic mailings with information on new products, coming events, surveys or other research materials, or other information we think might be of interest to you.
• Telephone numbers. If you provide your telephone number, Seesouthwest.com may call you regarding orders you have placed online, to tell you about new products, services, or coming events, or to offer other information that may interest you. Additionally, Seesouthwest.com, the Chronicle, or one of their agents may call you for research purposes.
Finally, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you’re online.
What if I don’t want Seesouthwest.com to contact me?
You may opt out of any or all contacts from Seesouthwest.com at any time. All e-mails sent to you from Seesouthwest.com will allow to opt out of any further e-mail from us (usually at the bottom of the email body, below the body text). You may e-mail us at webhelp@Seesouthwest.com to opt out of our email programs. You may also write or call us at the following address and phone number to notify us regarding use of your information: The Chronicle, 321 N. Pearl St., Centralia, WA, (360) 736-3311 (you may also ask for our IT/Tech Department).
When you register on Seesouthwest.com, you will be given the opportunity to opt out of further communication from us.
You may accept certain kinds of contact and decline others. For example, you may choose to accept e-mails, but not postal mail or telephone calls.
If, at anytime in the future, Seesouthwest.com decides to use information provided by you in a way not described here, we will contact you beforehand to explain the use of the information and give you the opportunity to decline that use.
Seesouthwest.com uses industry-standard encryption technologies when transferring and receiving consumer data exchanged with our site. When we transfer or receive certain types of sensitive data, such as financial information, we will redirect you to a secure server and will notify you through a pop-up screen on our site. We have implemented appropriate security measures in our physical facilities to protect against the loss, misuse or alteration of information that we have collected from you.
Making corrections to your information
Upon request, you may review all information that we maintain in your record, including contact information (name, address, zip code, phone number, e-mail), or any other information we may keep in your record.
You may also request that inaccuracies be corrected in any information that we maintain in your record.
Submit your request by contacting Seesouthwest.com via e-mail, postal mail, or telephone.